We always try to feature the best and most interesting guitar players in our interviews and we think we've excelled ourselves this time with two of the finest in the world – Steve Vai and Frank Gambale! We had to flip a coin as to which if these two fabulous players would be the subject of our Tech Session for this issue and Steve won, mostly it has to be said because Jamie Humphries is such a big Steve Vai fan and was keen to take on the monumental challenge of trying to analyse the master's style!
I'm sure Frank Gambale will be with us again in the future, so we can look at his amazing technique in more detail when that happens. In the meantime, we do have an early look at a fabulous new Frank Gambale signature Cort guitar in this issue's Quiet Room, so be sure to check that out.
Meanwhile, Summer is here (well, for many of our readers, it is) so we've teamed-up with PRS to offer you the chance to win a fabulous PRS Alex Lifeson SE Signature acoustic – a truly fine instrument to play and the ideal companion for summer adventures! As always, entry is free to registered readers. Don't forget, we want your suggestions of products you'd like to see reviewed, or artists you'd like us to interview. We can't always get the interviews we want but we do take your suggestions seriously and and try as hard as we can to track down the artists you ask for. Just email me your suggestions - firstname.lastname@example.org
In this Issue
- Steve Vai – Stuart Bull meets one of the world's most admired guitarists as he revists his 1990's smash Passion and Warfare with an anniversary tour. Jamie Humphries offers his thoughts on a guitar phenomenon.
- Frank Gambale – The man who invented sweep picking speaks to GI's Stuart Bull. Levi Clay profiles of one of guitar's greats.
Jamie Humphries delivers an exclusive look into Steve Vai's Alien Guitar Secrets!
All the featured downloads from this issue + exclusive Guitar Pro Lite tab software FREE download!
- PRS SE Mark Holcomb
- Gibson Les Paul Traditional 2016 T
- Schecter C-1 Custom
- Danelectro DG64
- McGuire Valley Pro
- Marshall Code 50 combo
- Fractal AX8 FX
- TC Electronic Sub 'n' Up Octaver pedal
- Boss VB2w Waza Craft vibrato pedal
- Providence Vitalizer FB and WV FX
- Tom Quayle
- Michael Casswell - Pro Concepts
- Sam Bell - Extreme Shredding
- Lewis Turner - The Art of Jazz Soloing
- Andy Wood - Country guitar
- JBL EON ONE PA system
- Yamaha Stagepas 601 PA system
- Yamaha AG06 mixer
- Warm Audio pre-amp
- Positive Grid Pro Series Compressors
The Quiet Room Tracks
- Wee Lowden WL35 acoustic
- Taylor 562ce 12-string electro-acoustic
- Cort Luxe Frank Gambale signature electro-acoustic
- Washburn WL020SCE & HJ40SCE electro-acoustic
- PRS SEA20 & SEA30 electro-acoustics
- Aria 101 acoustic
- Spector Legend 8 bass
- Cort C4 PLUS bass
- Fender Elite Jazz bass
- Peavey MiniMega & MiniMax micro bass heads